Saturday, December 17, 2022

What to get my kids for Christmas?

 Yes, this. All of this. (This is not my original graphic and I don't know whom to credit but it's brilliant.) Can't tell you what a difference books have made in my family's lives. I'm talking (largely) to the parents of younger kids whose families celebrate Christmas.


Hell, I've been Meg, Jo AND Amy (I was never sweet, retiring Beth; I played the piano for 17 years only under duress and guilt). I fell down rabbit holes with Alice; I had a tea party at 17 Cherry Tree Lane; I rambled around the Swiss Alps and helped Grandfather make cheese. I've been Becky Thatcher; I've meandered all over Beacon Hill with Beany, Jack, Dee and Reginald (and if anybody finds a used copy of "Beacon Hill Children," CALL ME IMMEDIATELY.) I fretted with Henry Higgins and his gallons of guppies, and I felt bad for Ellen Tebbets when her undershirt kept slipping under her ballet costume.
My son slew dragons, he was sorted into Gryffindor and became a wicked Quidditch player, he trained redbone coonhounds, he smart-assed back at the half-witted third-grade teacher who told me the Titanic story was "off-limits" to kids his age. (YESSS, we crossed swords on that and YESSS, I won. The only thing worse than a moron is a stubborn moron. The only thing better than a well-read mom is a well-read mom who's willing to draw first blood.) He floated down the Mississippi River with Jim to Cairo; he helped Tom whitewash that fence the day Aunt Polly was in such a temper.
Thanks to books and familial encouragement of a lifelong reading habit, we have been to centuries and continents that will always be inaccessible to us "in real life."
Books change lives. Please, young parents, get your kids books. Get used books and do both your wallet and the planet a favor. Read to them and with them. They'll "have" those books in their souls long after the cheap plastic toys have been shattered, forgotten and cast off into a landfill. Books don't fail you when there's an operating system upgrade or a power outage. Books don't need batteries and "controllers" (whatever the hell those are; and no, don't tell me; I don't want to know) to take you on an adventure. Books are portable. Books are (largely) recyclable. Books are/can be cheap or free (public libraries ABOUND).
You've got a week until Christmas. I BEG you to consider books. I hope YOUR children hear him exclaim as he drives out of sight "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home