Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Chance encounter with a lost delivery driver and her bird brightens a cold night

 Well, the universe has once again demonstrated that moments of frustration can turn gorgeous in an instant.

I ordered dinner. Got several text messages that it had been delivered but here I was, still starving. Phone rang, a Chicago number (what the hell?), and of course it was the delivery driver, hopelessly lost IN A SHORT CUL-DE-SAC <cue eyroll>. I offered to go meet her in the driveway and WOW!
On her passenger seat was a birdcage, but the bird (possibly a conure? My knowledge of birds is limited to roasting them.) was out, on top of the cage, perfectly tame and still. The delivery lady started talking a mile a minute, introducing Joy (the bird) and telling me how much she loves him. Then the bird started to squawk and she told me he was telling me he loved me. Then he made other noises and she said those were kisses. I think I blabbered and stammered a bit but the whole thing was slightly overwhelming.
Anyhow, she said "shukra" and I said "shukra." She said "Oh, you speak Arabic?" and I said "the Arabic I just spoke is all the Arabic I know." She then proceeded to tell me she's Palestinian and originally from a town near Nazareth, but "it's all the Holy Land." I said "Yes, sacred ground for three major world religions." She told me to enjoy my "Christ's mass," said "I love you" and drove off. Joy the bird squawked the entire time.
It was just a beautiful, unexpected moment on an ordinary Tuesday and really brightened my evening. I wish Basma and Joy all the, well, joy.
Note to hyperlocal friends: Don't order the roast chicken from Uncle Pete's. It's dry as dust, even the dark meat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home